Friday, March 6, 2009

15 ( Your bones have been my bedframe and your flesh has been my pillow, I am waiting for sleep)

Sooo, sorry it's been a while since  I updated. The week inbetween has been killer. I switched to tiling, and it's really a lot of fun. I have been using a wet-saw, which is a saw that uses water to offset the cutting and protect the tiles while you cut them. It's very effective and easy to use. I have been working with a super cool guy named Alex, who is from Michigan. He is an EMT (basic) and he has explained a lot of things to me that I had questions about. He is also a great teacher because he had a job doing tiling for like 6 months before he came down here. He is leaving in about a week though, and once that happens I will likely be the one to take over the majority, if not all of the tiling projects that lowernine has. I'm really excited about that! We totally banged out a sweet looking bathroom. Once the next floor is done, I'm going to take some pictures of what it looks like. It really helps that the homeowner is not only one of the nicest and most easy-going ladies, but she also had great taste. NOT to mention her wonderful son barbeques lunch for us pretty often, so Im eating like a king for sure.
The rotozip (a sheetrock saw/tile cutter which is small in size) I bought totally crapped out today though, so I need to get the reciept and return it. I was pretty bummed about that but hopefully it can be resolved next week. 

Good and Bad of the week:

1. Good: Got a lot done and I am looking forward to working on the weekend
2. Bad: The short-term volunteers who were here for the week were REALLY obnoxious
3. Bad: I took too many cold showers this week
4. Good: I went to a sweet open-mic last night that was awesome
5. Good: I'm practicing learning to play pool and I have some really good teachers
6. Bad: I STILL have that shitty rap song in my head
7. Good: I found a sweeeet website with really random lists of things on it (i will post the link below)
8. Good: I got to see my friend Chelsea again before she goes to Costa Rica
9. Good: I have decided to stay through July at lowernine
10. Bad: I'm not sure if there will be room, but I have high hopes. 
11. Bad: I still cant find that usb chord!!!!
12. Good: I made everyone help clean our room and now its beautiful

Overall Verdict: GOOD week :)

P.S: Mudding: After the walls in a house have been sheetrocked/drywalled, there are seams in between which need to be filled for the wall to be smooth. Mudding is the process in which mud (limestone, water, a bunch of other components that make up a mud-like substance) is spread over the seams to fill them. The first step is putting mud in the cracks, and then a sort of tape over it, scraping out the excess, and covering the tape with a nother layer of mud to make it even with the wall.
The next step after mudding and sanding to make it even is then texturing the wall (it helps to cover any imperfections and it looks quite nice), then priming and painting it. However, if you are using tile on the walls it is not necessary to paint the walls or even texture them in the areas that will be covered. In that case, you would use cement backer board (which you screw into the wall or floor), cover that with thin-set (nickname for acrylic tile adhesive) and then lay your tiles. After which comes grout... I digress. Mudding comes long before tiling. 

Another good thing: my knee is almost better from when i scraped it! this means I can return to learning to bike :), which then hopefully will allow me to get to that job interview haha!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment