Sunday, February 15, 2009

4 (I can't get you out of my head)

What a weekend....

Yesterday was very nice, my old team came, or at least 4 of them, and we spent the day together. Went to the french quarter and got some good food- I tried fried alligator haha. I went with them to Bourbon St, and it was pretty happening. Mardi Gras season is in full swing, and it was really neat to see everyone out in the street having a good time. I think I laughed more than I have in a long time too, I forgot some of the nice aspects of getting to spend so much time with some of the people from my old AmeriCorps team. I'm really hoping next weekend I get to see Colin, that would be awesome. Well anyway, after they left I went back out to Frenchmen and went to a bar that was plastered with murals of Bob Marley and had great reggae. I also got a sweeeet gift from D, a funny bumble-bee type thing. Best Valentines day everrrrrr hahaha.. no I was honestly hardly aware of it. 

Today was much more laid back, but really nice weather. It was a bit cooler (I know... SO interesting haha) and I took a good walk. I love the colors here, the vibe, everything about it down here just seems perfect. I feel like I could really just stay forever. The contrast of affluence is a little overwhelming and depressing at times, but I find when I'm working it doesn't even enter my mind. I feel ready for the week, and I'm also pretty relieved I haven't had an issue waking up early after over a month of sleeping like a bum. I also talked to Lynn a bit, and it was good to hear her. I should call her back soon..

Oy vey, the only thing that irritates me is just the thick air, I can tell its taking time for me to adjust. Lame. It's pretty different here at l9 this time, ryan told me i had come in november in something of a "golden age". If thats the case and it won't be like that now, I'm glad I got to experience it but I'm also not so sad, just because its always different depending on the group of volunteers. However I'm not generally the type to stay in on a saturday night playing scrabble... but there are lots of people here who wouldn't either, so whatever. I think the atmosphere in the main area of the house is abit more formal, I'm not sure I would just be completely comfortable doing whatever in here. I also think the people right now, at least some of them, are a lot more introverted and private, and certainly outwardly a little judgemental. But of course, I don't quite know them as of yet so I am not in a position to say. Aside from that aspect the house is a little different, and definitely the way things work seem to be a bit different. The priority of keeping the house clean and the energy level to a lower max isn't really such a bad call either, it was really rowdy here last time. It does seem quite a bit more segregated in terms of who is friends and hangs out and all the rest of it, I'm really not a fan of that. I think the clique-ish aspect is really juvenile and a detriment to the organization. But I also don't think its too extreme, and I haven't been here long enough to really judge. This is just my observation at the point, and I'm sure over the next months different things will unfold. Everything just takes time. 

Oh, another extreeeemely exciting bit of news: I am GOING to learn to ride a bike!!! and also hopefully learn to drive. but first, the bike. I've also been looking for a job, to no avail. Hopefully something will pan out, but everyone wants you to have a lisense (I cannot spell that word for my life) and a car, both of which I am lacking. :(

Alright, back to sitting quietly in the main room along with everyone else haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment